When I tell people I’ve written a book on medicines to treat ageing, the first question I get usually isn’t about biology: it’s ‘won’t that cause massive overpopulation?’
The moral, ethical and social consequences of treating ageing would be enormous, and I only scratch the surface in Ageless to leave more space for the science. As a result, I’ve written a free bonus chapter of the book which is out now, to celebrate the release of the paperback version in the US and UK!
If you'd like to read my answers to some of the common questions, from what would happen to population, to whether anti-ageing medicine would increase inequality, to risks of immortal dictators, to whether we’d get bored, then the chapter, ‘A world without ageing’, is available in various formats:
All my citations and sources can be found on the references page for this chapter.
I’m also planning to make a series of videos going into depth on some of the knottiest ethical questions. You can find the first one, on whether ageing could cause a population crisis, here:
How to get the chapter onto your Kindle
You can send downloaded ebooks or personal documents to your Kindle by emailing its unique @kindle.com email address. This is how:
- Go to your device settings and find the @kindle.com email address associated with your device. (Go to this link: Amazon US, Amazon UK; click ‘Preferences’ at the top of the screen; scroll down to ‘Personal Document Settings’ and click to expand; find the address in your ‘Send-to-Kindle E-Mail Settings’)
- Enable the email address you’re going to send it from (on the same part of the same settings page as above, make sure that the email you’re going to send from is on the ‘Approved Personal Document E-mail List’).
- Download the Kindle file, ageless-a-world-without-ageing.mobi.
- Attach the file to an email and send it to your @kindle.com address.
- You’ll get a verification email. Click on the link, make sure your Kindle is connected to wifi, and A world without ageing will magically appear on there!
You can transfer the file directly to your Kindle by plugging it into your computer with a USB cable. This can either be done using the excellent and free Calibre ebook software, or by dragging the file into the documents folder on your Kindle.
Using the Kindle web browser
You can visit ageless.link/ethicskindle in the Kindle’s web browser to download the ebook directly onto your Kindle.